When people think of Android programming all they think of is about application development for the platform but Android is much more than that. Android used in high end phones include its own framework of application programming that include stability even when an incoming call is coming. Android is actually a software platform in mobile phones that include Middleware, operating system and certain key applications. In order to start Android programming you will need an Android software development kit that comes along an emulator. Some of the popular development toolkits include names like Eclipse that is suitable for Java Development.
The features of Android include:
• The application framework developed using Android programming enables reuse and replacement of components.
• There is also an integrated web browser present, which is based on open source WebKit engine.
• Presence of optimized graphics that is powered by 2D graphics library and also 3D graphics, which is based on OpenGLES 1.0 specification.
• Presence of structured data storage due to the presence of SQLite.
• Supported audio and video formats include MPEG4, H.264, MP3, AAC, AMR, JPG, PNG, GIF.
• Hardware dependency includes features like 3G, WiFi, and Accelerometer, compass, GPS, camera and Bluetooth.
• Development of the platform requires device emulator, memory, tools for debugging, Eclipse IDE and performance profiling.